So I was looking through my cabinets this morning and came across a jar of Ragu. Yes, Ragu. Don't make that face. It's good in a pinch and cheap--2 of my favorite qualities in most things. Anyway, I flashed back to something my mom used to make on the occasional Sunday afternoon, usually in the fall and winter. I decided to try to recreate it. It's super simple:
1 cup dried pasta of your choice.
1- 26oz jar of any Ragu (or similar sauce)
1/2 jar of water.
1/2 cup of finely grated Asiago cheese (or whatever you prefer)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Put uncooked pasta in a greased 11x7 casserole dish. Cover with 1 jar of Ragu and 1/2 jar of water. Stir.
Place into oven and cook for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, carefully sprinkle grated Asiago cheese on top and return to oven for an additional 20 minutes or til pasta is tender.
That's it. It's easy, hot, edible and filling--which is why my mom made it. She was quite a good cook, but sometimes you just gotta opt for 'easy, hot, edible & filling.' It was exactly how I remembered it. Thanks Mom.
I made some cornbread to go with it, but it was too salty. I'm 2 for 2 in bad cornbread. It may be good with some maple syrup. Everything's good with some maple syrup.....
It was Great Thanks!!
ReplyDeleteif you use a REALLY big baking dish, you can use a pound of pasta--shells work great-- a jar of pasta sauce, a jar and up to a half of water and throw in some parmesan cheese. cook for 45 minutes. remove and add shredded cheese(s) of your choice and return to oven for 5 minutes or til cheese is melted.
ReplyDelete