I hadn't planned on posting anything today as I ate leftover chicken (coated in Louisiana Shrimp Fry of course) and veggies today. Then I made a salad... basic stuff: iceberg, carrots, tomato, orange bell pepper, green onion, crasins, sunflower seeds and more carrots (I like carrots.)
When I put the salad in the fridge I spotted a bunch of broccoli I had almost forgotten about. I'm pretty sure I emitted an audible sigh... I'm tired of buying produce and then throwing it out a couple of weeks later because I didn't feel like fooling with it. So I toughed it out....and cut it up and steamed it. Took all of 10 minutes. Well since I was on a roll, I broke out some brown rice and pot of water. Might as well go healthy tomorrow, right? Brown rice and broccoli... My body will probably go into shock, but I'll take the chance--because I'm like that. Always walking the tightrope.
My 10 year old nephew LOVES broccoli. He happened to be over here when I cooked it and what was once a big pile of broccoli was reduced to a few meager stalks. I'm not complaining. How many 10 year olds opt for broccoli over Oreos?
So, now my problem was what to do with a lot of brown rice and a handful of broccoli?
The other day when I cooked the aforementioned chicken, I had it with carrots and some in-the-envelope broccoli rice mix. Yes, it had some rice in it. It also had spaghetti in it--like Rice-a-Roni. I didn't know that. That is one of the nastiest texture combinations ever conceived. And I had to break out the magnifier to see a hint of broccoli in there. I was thinking as I ate it, (yes, I did eat it) that SURELY I can do better than this.
so, I did. Here it is.
Real Broccoli and Cheese Rice (sans 'Roni')
1/2 cup of brown rice. (use white if you must. Brown is better)
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
pinch of black pepper
1 cup of milk
1 cup of grated cheddar
1/2 cup or more of chopped steamed broccoli
cook 1/2 cup of brown rice in salted water for 40 - 45 minutes. Drain. Don't rinse. Set aside.
(my mom always did rice 'pasta style' where you simmer it in a lot of water and drain after 40 minutes for brown rice and 20 for white rice. It's never sticky like it can be if you cook it like they say to on the package)
Steam broccoli florets til crisp-tender. About 5-6 minutes on the stovetop.
Drain and rinse under cold water. Dice.
In a sauce pan over low heat (or better yet, a double boiler over medium heat), melt butter.
Add salt, pepper and flour and stir til well mixed.
Add milk and cheese and stir til thickened. About 3-5 minutes.
Stir in rice and broccoli. Serve.
Makes about 4 servings.

No comments:
Post a Comment